Dr Darryl Hodgkinson has more than 30 years of experience as a plastic surgeon specialising in rhinoplasty surgery. Here he gives you the facts about nose reshaping surgery. FACT: The results of a rhinoplast...Continue Reading
Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) Sydney
Female Image Gallery Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) Sydney
Male Image Gallery Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) Sydney
About The Procedure
Nose Reshaping Plastic Surgery
Of all plastic surgery procedures, nose enhancement, nose job or rhinoplasty, is among the most common and satisfying for patients. Rhinoplasty Surgery can be performed on any part of the nose. Nose reduction surgery to reduce its size, or nose plastic surgery to modify the size and shape of the nostrils, tip or bridge of the nose; or to alter the slope or angle of the nose. Rhinoplasty surgery sometimes in conjunction with Septoplasty (to repair the septum of the nose) may also be performed to correct an injury or birth defect, or to improve breathing. The septoplasty or reconstructive rhinoplasty surgery are performed at the same time as the surgery to improve the aesthetics of the nose.
Nose Plastic Surgery – Achieve the Look You’ve Always Wanted
To consider nose plastic surgery and because rhinoplastic surgery can change patient’s profile, many patients make use of the digital imaging service available at the clinic to help them envisage not only what is possible and what their new look might be but appreciate the benefits that this tool allows in doctor/patient communication. This is popular for both female and male nose job Sydney patients. This is a very accurate tool with photographs taken in a studio and transferred to a computer with the software Alter Image. Patients interact with Dr Hodgkinson and his staff to determine what looks the most attractive and natural on the patient’s face. The result must be customised to each and every patient. Dr Hodgkinson respects the ethnic characteristics of the patient’s face.
While Rhinoplasty is designed to change the shape and appearance of your nose for cosmetic reasons, it can also fix issues or deformities caused by an injury. Your nose should work harmoniously with your face, and the right Rhinoplasty for you should be subtle and natural. If you have one of the following concerns, this procedure may be the right one for you;
- Want of a larger or smaller nose
- Want of a more pleasing shape for the tip of your nose
- Refining the bridge of your nose
- Changing the base width of your nose
- Improving a crooked nose or reducing humps
- Enhance the bridge of your nose if it is too low
Rhinoplasty works to improve the appearance of your nose for increased self-confidence, but it can also be beneficial in helping with nasal breathing problems or obstructions. This can lead to better breathing and better quality sleep. Rhinoplasty, as well as a range of other cosmetic procedures for the facial region, are set to provide someone more confidence with their facial appearance; lifting spirits and giving themselves an improved sense of self. Dr Hodgkinson tests your breathing function pre-operatively and may order a CT scan or X-ray to determine the obstructions which might be present in the back of a patient’s nose. Patients are grateful for the chance to breathe normally as well as to look better.
Rhinoplasty Need To Knows
Rhinoplasty is a procedure to reshape the nose. The procedure can have both cosmetic and health benefits for those with breathing or sleeping issues. Breathing difficulties due to distortion or swelling of the internal structures of the nose can be corrected at the same time as cosmetic Rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty involves the modification of the bones and cartilage of the nose and allowing the skin of the nose to adapt itself to the new shape with time. For some, a secondary rhinoplasty is a procedure used to correct an inadequate, inappropriate or poorly performed initial primary rhinoplasty. About 50% of Dr Hodgkinson’s rhinoplasty procedures are for secondary cases.
Why Consider Rhinoplasty?
The nose plays a crucial role in our body image and can cause anxiety and lack of self-confidence if someone is unhappy with this region. Some parts of the nose can be made smaller or narrower, and some parts can be made more substantial and more projecting.
A rhinoplasty should also be ethnically appropriate, fitting in with the person’s ethnic profile. In Caucasians, the bony hump which gives the nose a certain prominence is removed. In Asians, the procedure is almost always a reverse of the Caucasian and aims to give the bridge and tip more projection. Surgeons in Asia commonly use silicone Medpor and Gor-Tex to provide the desired dorsal projection, but its popularity is waning due to a high rate of failure over time.
Dr Hodgkinson has used the patient’s own cartilage and bone for 30 years to achieve correction of the Oriental nose. These results are permanent and long-term unlike foreign material like silicone which extrudes or causes thinning of the tissues in a large percentage of cases.
How Much Does Nose Surgery Cost?
Click here to get your free info pack to learn more about rhinoplasty surgery and nose job Sydney costs. The range reflects the varying degree of difficulty and time necessary to perform the surgery.
The Pre-Eminent Authority For Female & Male Rhinoplasty Sydney
Sydney cosmetic plastic surgeon, Dr. Darryl Hodgkinson, is an expert in rhinoplasty surgery and lectures on Rhinoplasty Australia and worldwide as well as nose surgery for Asian patients. In fact, Dr Hodgkinson is only 1 of 2 Australian surgeons that has been accepted into The Rhinoplasty Society and the only surgeon in New South Wales. This society consists of top Surgeons throughout the World who specialise in Rhinoplasty and to be accepted surgeons must go through an extensive vetting process in order to be part of this non-profit organization. Papers need to be submitted, expertise validated and they must be considered innovators in their field deeply committed to aesthetic and reconstructive nasal surgery.
Many plastic surgeons from overseas who visit Dr Hodgkinson are impressed with Dr Hodgkinson’s rhinoplasty techniques and his natural results.
To get the best advice when considering nose surgery Sydney, please contact the team at Dr Hodgkinson’s clinic on (02) 9362 7400. You will be provided with a realistic image of what your result would look like, a costing and all the details you need to make a decision. Of note, there is a Medicare rebate available for all Rhinoplasty’s. This detail can be discussed on the day or for some preliminary information, visit MBS Online.
Dr. Hodgkinson’s Process
Dr. Hodgkinson has performed thousands of rhinoplasties and he likes to spend a great deal of time with his patients before surgery, getting to know them, their desires and getting a complete understanding of the work required. With the aid of our computer program ‘Alter Image,’ Dr. Hodgkinson will individualise an achievable nose which looks harmoniously natural with the rest of the patients facial features, and does not look operated on. Male rhinoplasty patients are known to be more prone to dissatisfaction with their rhinoplasties, so extended consultation time is mandatory.
Healing in the nose is somewhat unpredictable and, as with all surgeries, slight asymmetries might occur. These asymmetries become evident during the scar maturing phase of healing, usually at about six to eight months. A minor touch-up procedure may be needed in about five to ten percent of primary rhinoplasty cases usually not until 9-12 months of healing has occurred.
In a secondary rhinoplasty situation where the nose requires complex grafting, there is underlying scarring or loss of tissue, can compound surgical problems making the results of the secondary rhinoplasty less predictable. Dr. Hodgkinson always aims for improvement but downplays expectations due to the unique issues secondary rhinoplasties present.
Deviated (crooked) septums are widespread and severe deviation can cause blockages of the airways, and this can be corrected with a septoplasty at the same time as a cosmetic rhinoplasty. Septoplasty for a deviated septum or injury to the nose can be claimed on Medicare and Private Health Funds.
For Asian patients who want more tip projection, Dr. Hodgkinson will stitch or stack cartilage grafts onto the underlying cartilages to give the desired tip elevation. There has been a move to use the patient’s own tissues to perform an Asian rhinoplasty by increasing the height of the dorsum of the nose, though the most popular operation internationally still is the inserting of a silicone implant. Even in the best hands in Asia, 10 to 15% of cases have early and late complications from extrusion or exposure of the silicone implants. Using the patient’s own bone and cartilage gives long lasting results without implant complications.
Other problems with the implants is that they can move, they often thin local tissue so light can show through the nose, and they can give an unnaturally high appearance and prominent appearance of an implant. Unfortunately, with the passage of time, the risk of extrusion, or the implant coming through the skin increases.
Dr. Hodgkinson has treated many patients with these complications here in Australia, and some of them come from overseas for corrective treatment specifically. In these case, he will remove the existing implant and at the same time do an immediate reconstruction of the nose tip with cartilage and the dorsum of the nose with bone. These are challenging cases but by doing the procedure in one stage Dr. Hodgkinson will be able to prevent a significant deformity for these patients, and they are grateful for the amount of effort put in to try to restore their appearance after their previous implant has extruded or come out through the nose.
Your Rhinoplasty with Dr. Hodgkinson
Dr. Darryl J. Hodgkinson is an expert in cosmetic plastic surgery with over thirty years of experience and surgical training from the prestigious Mayo Clinic in the United States. He holds two degrees in plastic surgery and serves on the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). The Double Bay Day Surgery is a fully licensed day surgery centre with state of the art cosmetic and plastic surgical procedures. You are in very safe hands for your Rhinoplasty. Our team will take their time to understand your needs and desires, answer all the questions you may have, and ensure that this is the right procedure for you.
We also place a great deal of focus on post-operative care for all of our patients. Our highly skilled nursing staff are on call 24 hours a day, and they are available to stay with patients either at home or nearby if desired.
Our mission is to provide our patients with the best results possible, and we appreciate the trust and faith placed in us by our patients. Dr. Hodgkinson provides a relaxed and professional environment, and we will work with you to understand your goals and ensure that you are entirely comfortable with making your decision to proceed with this procedure.
Please speak to our highly skilled staff about rhinoplasty surgery today. Our team includes intensive care anaesthetists, registered nurses, and surgical technicians; all of whom are trained in catering to the needs of cosmetic and plastic surgical patients.
- Can Cosmetic Surgery To My Nose Improve My Breathing?Yes it can. At the same time that nose reshaping surgery (rhinoplasty) is carried out, issues with breathing can also be addressed. If the septum, the internal division between the nostrils, has been twisted or damaged from trauma this can be fixed along with any external structures to 'free-up' your airways and improve your breathing. This procedure is called a ‘septoplasty’. Usually, patients who want reshaping due to some injury have some sort of breathing problem to improve as well. The two procedures of rhinoplasty and septoplasty can be carried out at the same time, improving both the appearance and the function of the nose. A rhinoplasty is one of the most satisfying procedures, beautifying the face and improving the patient’s profile. Any breathing problems can be dealt with at the same time. To review some of Dr. Hodgkinson’s rhinoplasty cases, please check out our Patients' Before and After Gallery.
Before and after 3 months Septorhinoplasty
- Can Dr. Hodgkinson Fix My Flat Nose?Yes he can! Some Caucasians and many Oriental patients have a “flat” nose and request us to build up their nose’s bridge. This results in a better balance with the eyes and in Asians creates a more Eurasian appearance. Nasal fractures, often associated with contact sports like football and boxing, can also cause an undesirable “flattening” of the nose. Elevation of the nasal bridge with silicone is an occasional option, but Dr Hodgkinson generally prefers to use the patient’s own tissue. This Indonesian lady had a small piece of bone taken from her elbow and transplanted into her nose to produce not only a more refined profile but also a better appearance from the front view, glamorising and highlighting the upper part of her face.
- What are the risks of Rhinoplasty?
Dr. Hodgkinson has performed a Rhinoplasty procedure thousands of time and he ensures that the highest levels of safety and care are taken for every patient; however, every surgical procedure presents a certain level of potential risk or complication. In the case of Rhinoplasty these can include;
- Haematoma formation
- Issues with the anaesthetic such as deep vein thrombosis
- Excessive pain
- Altered nasal sensation
- Reduced sense of smell
- Visible swelling over several months
- Loss of structural support
- Perforation of the septum
- Airway obstruction
Most of these listed problems are extremely rare.
The incisions that are made as part of this process are inconspicuous, along with any scarring that will fade or lessen with time.
Before and 6 months after Rhinoplasty
- How long will I have to be off work, after nose surgery?Most patients have a good idea about what they dislike about their nose and what they want done but a big concern is how much time they will miss from work or studies and/or how much discomfort they will experience. The surgery surprisingly causes minimal discomfort and oral painkillers such as Panadol can control this. Recovery from rhinoplasty takes approximately seven to ten days and you can resume most activities within two weeks, except for contact sports. Rigorous activities can be resumed at about six weeks. The hard work of our team, along with the state-of-art equipment and materials we use create the most comfortable environment possible for patients. We aim for minimal postoperative sedation and the quickest recovery period possible. You will likely feel strange as the anaesthetic wears off and experience some soreness, swelling, or discomfort, which is all completely normal. You will also likely feel tired after surgery and have a splint placed across your nose to assist in the healing process for around seven days after surgery and with paper tape for several weeks after that. We ensure that you are well-informed when it comes to the healing process so there will be no shocks or surprises after your procedure. You are encouraged to ask any question that you may have to ensure you are entirely comfortable with what will happen before, during or after a rhinoplasty surgery.
- Will My Nose Look Masculine After Nose Surgery?
It is important whether male or female that surgery to the nose be carried out with a sensitivity to the patient’s face, gender, ethnic background and family resemblance. Many surgeons who have a predominantly female patient base may have the tendency to over-feminise their male surgical results. Experts in nose surgery/ rhinoplasty can individualise the result for each patient to ensure that their new look is natural, balanced and attractive. In all male rhinoplasty surgery it is important to avoid a “cute” of “button” by removing too much tissue or cartilage. It is critical to maintain a strong nose that is in balance with the patient’s face and which gives a natural masculine appearance.
Often, patients who want reshaping due to an injury have some sort of breathing problem as well. The two procedures of rhinoplasty and septoplasty can be carried out at the same time, improving both the appearance and the function of the nose.
Our experienced team will give you specific post-operative instructions which should be followed to the letter to ensure the best results possible are achieved. You will see the results of your Rhinoplasty immediately; however, you will likely experience swelling which can take up to several months to subside. Genuine final results can take up to a year to reveal themselves in some cases. Cartilage can also reshape over time to adjust to your new nose.
Before and 6 months after Rhinoplasty
- Will I Still Look Like Me After A Nose Job?Most patients want improvement – not change. Many patients in my practice voice a concern about having plastic surgery that they feel might make them look like someone else. After years of looking at yourself in the mirror or of your family and friends looking at you it is normal to be concerned about too great a change. This is something that it is important to discuss with your surgeon. In expert hands it is possible to customise the result of rhinoplasty or other cosmetic surgery to ensure that you look like the best you possible – not someone else.