Some people age prematurely in the neck. This may be a familial trait—especially in the chin; if the chin is weak, the neck will age more rapidly. The “turkey” or “chook” neck is an obvious sign of ag...Continue Reading
Neck Lift Surgery Sydney
Female Image Gallery Neck Lift Surgery Sydney
Male Image Gallery Neck Lift Surgery Sydney
About The Procedure
A neck lift procedure is a surgical alteration of the neck muscles, fat, or skin to combat signs of ageing and saggy tissue. It is important to note that the neck lift procedure is nearly always performed in conjunction with a facelift. Many people confuse these as two separate procedures able to be performed individually; however, this is not usually the case.
To properly perform a full facelift, the neck must be addressed, especially if you have severe jowls or platysma bands, known as “turkey neck.”
A neck lift, depending on the desired look of the patient, can include:
- Cervicoplasty: A procedure that will remove excess skin
- Platysmaplasty: The removal or alteration of the neck muscles
- Neck liposuction Surgery: The removal of excess fat
Some aesthetics can also be created via anti-wrinkle injections in the neck region if patients feel their neck offers a full look, also referred to as “bands.” Dr. Hodgkinson will work with you to understand the issues you are experiencing and the look you wish to achieve, deciding then which of the processes above will be required.
About Neck Lift Surgery
If you have a sagging neck that bothers you then you have a few options for improvement depending on your age and ageing. For the under 40s who still have good skin elasticity and do not have sagging platysma (neck bands) then there is still the possibility of liposculpture to regain definition and a more youthful looking neck. Once elasticity is gone, however, there is no effective option other than a surgical neck lift.
Neck lift surgery should be performed as a part of and with every full Facelift in both women and men. When addressing the sagging of the jowels or jawline during a facelift, if you stop at that point you make the face look unnaturally tight as it does not appear in isolation from the jaw, chin and neck. Neck lifting addresses the area from the jawline all the way down to the collar bones and should seek to get rid of the not only the “turkey neck” but age defining “rings” around the neck where possible. A neck lift may only require the same incision lines as the facelift but in the majority of cases it is impossible to get a good result without a small incision just behind and underneath the chin.
No facial rejuvenation surgery such as facelifting such be considered without first examining the neck. All the aesthetic areas of the face must be treated with equal importance and taken back to the same point in time to avoid an unnatural or operated on look. The one exception to this rule is for men who are only bothered by their sagging neck. For men, sometimes a neck lift is performed without a face lift. This is because a more chiselled jawline makes the face and profile look not only more youthful but masculine. If a man is solely concerned about his neck and not the rugged ageing of his face then it may be appropriate to perform the neck lift in isolation and not combine it with a face lift or other facial rejuvenation surgery. Again, all full facelifts should include a neck lift if it is required to give the patient a natural, youthful and attractive result. You can learn more about facelift surgery with Dr Hodgkinson here.
How Much Does Neck Lift Surgery Cost?
Once Dr Hodgkinson has had a chance to examine you, you will receive fixed price quote inclusive of the surgeon’s fee, facility fee and anaesthetic fee. There are no surprises.
For any procedure, there are at least three costs involved:
- The Surgeon’s Fee – The number one determinant in your result is your surgeon’s expertise. Remember that a low fee does not always mean a bargain. Once done, many things can not be undone.
- The Surgical Facility Fee – All cosmetic surgery must be performed in a licensed accredited facility by law. You will either be billed before or after surgery for your time in the operating theatre and recovery and possibly overnight fees too if in a hospital. Be sure to find out what these fees are. If they are not fixed in advance you might be in for a unpleasant surprise.
- Anaesthesia – All licensed facilities are required to have an anaesthetist present to monitor your vital signs whether you are under general anaesthesia or twilight sedation. Again, you will be billed for this either before or after. Make sure you know what these fees are as well.
To learn the approximate costs of neck lift surgery, please click here. You can also contact us to speak to one of our experienced patient coordinators to learn more about neck lift surgery and discuss your options. Please contact us via email or call (02) 9362 7400.
Patients who are seeking any form of facial rejuvenation such as neck lifting will more than likely have aged in more areas than just the neck. As we age and the fatty tissues and muscles of the face and neck slacken and resorb, we get not only wrinkling but a loss of elasticity of the skin and sagging and drooping of the underlying tissues.
These tell tale signs of ageing can be the “turkey neck” or droopy “hang dog” jowls, droopy upper eyelids or baggy lower ones, a loss of volume or tone in the face, a tired or angry look, fine lines and/or blotchy sun-damaged skin. To set back the clock it is important that all aesthetic areas of the face and neck are dealt with at the same time to create an overall natural and more youthful look.
Here are some of the procedures to create a more youthful you and what they address:
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy) (including mini-lift, S-lift etc) – To create a more youthful lower third of the face addressing the nasolabial folds and jawline.
- Mid-Facelift – To re-establish the position of the tissues in the mid-third of the face around the cheekbones. This can also be accomplished by combining cheek implants or fat injections or more viscous injectible fillers with a facelift where appropriate.
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) – Eyelid surgery can correct droopy upper eyelids or baggy lower ones.
- Browlift – To address the sagging or ageing of the top third of the face; the brow. Often heaviness in the area of the eyes is actually caused due to sagging of the brows not the eyelids.
- Laserbrasion/Dermabrasion – Laser or dermabrasion can be used to deal with the fine lines that form around the mouth (smokers lines) and eyes. They are also able to address facial scarring such as acne scarring.
- Cheek and Chin Implants – Cheek and chin augmentation with Dr Hodgkinson can restore balance to the profile of the ageing face where volume or contour has been lost.
- Lip Enhancement – Lips too can get thinner as we age. Lips can be surgically enhanced or volumized with non-surgical injectible fillers for a short term improvement in appearance.
- Non-Surgical Treatments – Non surgical treatments such as anti-wrinkle injections for lines, injectible fillers for naso labial folds and minor areas of volume loss are useful either in the younger patient or as an adjunct to surgery or maintenance program for facial rejuvenation patients.
What Makes Dr. Hodgkinson Different?
One of the primary reasons why people know and trust Dr. Hodgkinson, is his extensive experience having performed thousands of cosmetic surgery procedures. He puts a significant focus on the personal side of surgery, getting to know his patients to develop a complete understanding of their desires and goals and in turn, what will be required in their procedure. The main goal is a result that brings a smile to your face to regain confidence and get your “mogo”back.
As an expert in cosmetic plastic surgery, Dr. Hodgkinson is well-respected in the industry and has over thirty years of experience to his name. His surgical training was completed at the prestigious Mayo Clinic in the United States and he holds two higher degrees in plastic surgery. Dr. Hodgkinson also keeps involved in the surgical community by serving on the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) and the editorial board of the Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Journal.
The Double Bay Day Surgery from which Dr Hodgkinson operates, is a fully licensed accredited day surgery centre. We can ensure the highest levels of care for our patients as our clinic offers state of the art cosmetic and plastic surgical equipment. Our well-experienced and knowledgeable team work hard to understand your needs and goals. We make it a priority to ensure that you are completely comfortable prior to making the decision to undergo a neck lift surgery by keeping you well-informed and ensuring all of your questions are answered in advance.
Our post-operative care procedures are second-to-none to ensure the best recovery possible for all of our patients. One of our nurses may stay with you the first post-operative evening to keep you relaxed and comfortable. Our nursing staff are on call 24 hours a day, and in cases where it may be applicable, are able to perform home care. We do this to provide all of our patients with the best results and care possible. Speak to our highly skilled staff today and find out for yourself, that the level of patient care we provide is one of our greatest strengths in providing excellent results.
- Will a Facelift Fix My Saggy Neck?No-one wants a double chin (or “turkey neck”) but regardless of your age, you can usually do something about it. From late teens some people notice the hereditary feature of a chubby fat neck. Just looking at your relatives gives you the clue that diet and exercise are not going to fix the problem. Liposuction is generally very effective for these fatty accumulations up to the age of about 40. After 40 years, men and women who are ageing relatively normally, note a laxity of skin and sagging muscles under the chin. A mini-lift is the treatment of choice at this age and can result in a marked “firming” and tensioning of the underlying muscles of the upper neck. After about age 45, fat and sagging skin combine to make the problem more severe and at this stage a neck-lift or a facelift is a better option. To find out the most suitable procedure for you, be sure to consult a surgeon with extensive experience in facelifts. Beware of the “latest”, the “newest”, the “L”, the “S” or “the turbo”! These procedures may have a nifty name but liposuction, a mini-lift and neck-lift have a proven track record of more than 20 years.
Before and After Face Lift & Neck Lift Surgery by Dr Hodgkinson
- What Can I Do About My Double Chin?A double chin is not only a sign of ageing or being overweight but can also be a hereditary area for fatty deposits. For persons in their teens to thirties who still have good elasticity in their skin (and even older in some cases) Liposuction to the chin and neck can produce remarkable results. Naturally, the surgeon must be artistically skilled in remodelling the patient’s profile to suit their features and facial balance.
- How Can I Get Rid Of My Sagging Jowls?Jowls are commonly associated with ageing in the lower half of the face. Everyone ages differently but jowls are a common complaint of patients that present at the clinic to find out what their options are and what is the best procedure to correct their sagging jowls. As we get older, not only does our skin lose elasticity but the underlying tissues and fat pats atrophy as well. This ageing process creates this sagging, loose appearance, wherein the jawline loses its definition and often there is also a laxity of the tissues under the chin, giving the person a double chin. The best procedure or treatment for sagging jowls usually involves a facelift of just the lower two-thirds of the face, which is enough to elevate these tissues combined with some fixation of the tissues underneath (not just a skin lift or S-Lift). It is not possible to create natural looking results when the skin is stretched and tightened like cling wrap to hold the sagging tissues in place. The advantage of the facelift combined with the fixation of the underlying tissues over more traditional procedures is that there is less scarring and “down-time” while still providing for a long lasting and more natural result. This is referred to as a SMAS lift.
Before and After Face Lift and Neck lift Surgery
- How should I prepare for this procedure?Our team will give you in-depth instructions on how best to prepare for a neck lift procedure once you have decided this surgery is right for you. We will let you know if there are any medications or vitamins you should avoid prior to surgery, and if you are a smoker, it is strongly recommended that you quit two weeks before the procedure. Wear comfortable clothing on the day of surgery that does not pull on, or restrict the neck area and plan for your recovery time off from work. We also like to recommend that you set up a comfortable home recovery area prior to surgery, so that you can adequately rest after your procedure.
- What should I expect in terms of recovery from my neck lift procedure?The exact recovery time from a neck lift procedure will differ per patient; however, you will likely be able to return to work around 10-14 days after surgery. In regards to physical activity, we recommend waiting around three weeks before returning to strenuous movements like playing sport. Resting during this time will only help your recovery and results so holding off on anything too physical for as long as possible is to your benefit.
- Are there any possible complications or side effects with neck lift surgery?Dr. Hodgkinson and his team place significant importance on minimzing procedural effects and easing the recovery for every patient to ensure the lowest risk of any complications developing. With any surgery however, there is a level of risk associated regardless of how skilled your medical team may be. In the case of a neck lift, you will likely experience some swelling or bruising for several days after the procedure. Your neck may feel tight, and you could also feel a tingling sensation or in some cases, even a slight burning. It is also quite common to experience numbness; however, all of these reactions are normal and expected within the first few weeks of surgery. They should not raise any concerns and the severity will differ for every patient.
Before and After Face Lift and Neck Lift SurgeryAll surgery will run the risk of infection; however our team and facilities work hard to keep this risk level low. Let us know if you experience high temperature post surgery, and if you do have a fever or unusual discharge from the incision, contact us immediately. Another rare but possible side effect can be an allergic reaction to anaesthesia; however, this risk is lessened by disclosing any drug allergies you may have to us during your pre-operative consultation. We have a 24hr after hours call service for all patients in the immediate post-operative period.