Sydney plastic surgeon Dr Darryl Hodgkinson explains some of the finer details of liposculpture.Liposculpture is the term used for employing liposuction to re-shape the female figure or define the male phys...Continue Reading
Liposuction / Liposculpture Procedure
Female Image Gallery Liposuction / Liposculpture Procedure
Male Image Gallery Liposuction / Liposculpture Procedure
About The Procedure
Liposuction/Liposculpture body sculpting (suction-assisted lipectomy, ultrasonic assisted liposculpture) is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures performed today. Proven safety, minimal scarring and outstanding results have made the various liposuction techniques the preferred method for removing fat from the hips, thighs, buttocks and midriff, as well as areas of the face, neck and arms.
Dr. Darryl Hodgkinson as a leader in liposuction Sydney cautions his patients that liposuction is not an alternative to weight reduction, but can be very effective in removing fat from areas that do not respond to diet and exercise programs.
Liposuction is commonly used to remove stubborn, diet-and exercise-resistant fat deposits and to sculpt the body into a slimmer profile. For many of Dr. Hodgkinson’s patients, resistant fat deposits may be a genetic/inherited problem.
Most Commonly Treated Areas in Men and Women
Dr. Hodgkinson finds that most frequently treated areas in women are:
■ the abdomen
For liposuction in men this usually includes the love handles, abdomen, and enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia). These are areas where body contouring with liposuction produces the most impressive results.
The Safest and Most Effective Liposuction Procedure
Today, there are an ever-increasing number of types of liposuction (suction-assisted lipectomy, ultrasonic assisted liposculpture, power assisted liposculpture and the tumescent technique) and the choice of technique or combination of techniques used by Dr. Hodgkinson the results vary based on the patient’s specific body composition.
Dr. Hodgkinson cautions that all patients are different and a personal comprehensive consultation is required to determine if you are a candidate for liposuction and what type of results you can expect. There are many different tools with which liposuction can be performed.
Before & After Liposuction of Inner Thighs, Saddlebags, Hips, & Knees
Suction-assisted lipectomy is normally performed under light general anesthesia in our fully licensed and accredited day surgery facility. There are some risks and side effects related to liposuction as with most surgeries. However, liposuction is a safe procedure with very few side effects.
Should the types of side effects occur such as skin irregularity, lumpiness, dimpling, loose skin or infection occur, they are usually easily corrected. Most patients are back to work within a week and positive results can be seen within days after the surgery although the complete long-term result may not be visible for a few months when all residual swelling subsides.
Dr. Hodgkinson is an expert plastic cosmetic surgeon in Sydney offering liposuction and liposculpture services with over 25 years experience, not only in the field but in liposuction specifically.
To find out if you are a candidate for liposuction contact the clinic to make a time for a consultation with Dr. Hodgkinson.
- Can I get liposuction to more than one area of the body at the same time?Yes, but there is a limit to how much fat can be removed. It is inadvisable to remove more than a total of 5000ccs at one time. This is because there would be too much trauma to the tissues with risks of fluid imbalance and the possibility of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in the legs.
- Can I get liposuction for my ‘love handles’?Liposuction is extremely effective for the love handle area. Men store fat in different areas to women and just like women, find these isolated pockets of fat hard to shift with diet and exercise. Liposuction, or the removal of fat cells, is ideal in such areas to restore or even improve a man’s physique.The major difference in liposculpture for men and women, is that in men the goal is to expose muscularity, whereas in women the emphasis is on creating sensuous curves. This procedure can be carried out as an outpatient at my licensed day surgery facility.
Before and after male liposculpture by Dr. HodgkinsonMale body-shaping is becoming more popular each year. To review some of Dr. Hodgkinson’s Liposuction cases, please check out our Patients' Before and After Gallery.
- Is liposuction the best way to get rid of cellulite?No. Liposuction works on the deeper layer of fat, and cellulite is more superficial. Sadly, there are no truly effective treatments for cellulite.Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding weight fluctuations can help some people improve the appearance of cellulite.
- What is the difference between liposuction and liposculpture?When the fat cells are removed, it is critical that the surgeon creates a smooth contour.Creating this contour or figure for the patient requires the surgeon to remove fat to the right depth in both the area affected and all surrounding areas to avoid the pitfalls of dimpling. This can necessitate the use of multiple liposculpture techniques including tumescent and ultrasonic as well as many sizes of cannulae (instruments).In Liposculpture, the expertise of the surgeon is more important than any machine or method, as creating the right contour takes many years of experience.I was at the meeting where liposuction was first introduced by Dr. Illouz from Paris over 25 years ago and have enjoyed great success with these techniques for over two decades.
- Why is the fat on my hips, thighs and waist so hard to get rid of?Many women gain weight on their hips and thighs during their teenage years. This if often related to genetics. The main contributor to later fat deposits is hormonal including pregnancies, menopause or HRT (hormone replacement therapy). Overeating is another contributor. We encourage a healthy diet and regular exercise but this is not enough for many patients. Treatment options include liposculpture, either with a traditional procedure or the newer ultrasonic method or for patients with more sagging skin around the abdomen, a “tummy tuck” may be more suitable.In some patients, particularly those with very large amounts of fat deposits or loose and sagging skin (possibly after a large weight loss) we may suggest a thigh or body lift. The scars from these procedures are extensive but generally tolerated in order to get rid of the large amount of excessive skin that accompanies dramatic weight loss.
Figure Liposculpture: hips, inner and outer thighs