We continue to see problems and complications from Injectables on a week to week basis. Many unsupervised Nurse Injectors do not offer patients the appropriate treatments especially around the eyes and by in...Continue Reading
Lip Fillers, Injections & Augmentation
Female Image Gallery Lip Fillers, Injections & Augmentation
About The Procedure
As we age, lips become more prolonged, thinner, and develop vertical wrinkles. Offsetting this by enhancing the lips to make them fuller can be achieved by using both non-permanent or permanent injectables.
Full lips have long been seen as a sign of youth and sensuality, and consequently, lip enhancement remains a popular procedure with both young and middle-aged women. Over the years, many permanent and non-permanent products have been used to plump lips with varying degrees of success. Some permanent products have been responsible for considerable distress among patients (and angst for the surgeon) because a small percentage can develop difficult-to-remove granulomas or lumpiness.
Fat taken from another part of the body (usually the abdomen or buttocks) is popular for injecting into the lips. However, there is not a lot of fat in a normal lip, and sometimes the fat grows if the patient gains weight and the lips might begin to look abnormal. The rate of fat reabsorption is also unpredictable, so a repeat dose is often used.
Volume loss in the lips is a natural occurrence of ageing. Patients turn to lip fillers to create fuller, more youthful-looking lips. When augmenting the lips, it is vital to consider both the shape of the lips along with the areas that support the lips as they both have a significant impact on the potential overall aesthetic outcome of the desired area. It is important to note that patients should be prepared that temporary swelling and bruising is normal after lip enhancement surgery.
Lip augmentation requires significant skill and training, Dr. Hodgkinson and his team have performed this procedure many times and work closely with patients to achieve a natural look they will be very happy with.
About Lip Augmentation
Lip enhancement is a very common and highly popular procedure which can be carried out as a cosmedical treatment with temporary results or surgically with permanent results. The newest injectable fillers which are approved and reliable are non-permanent injectables and are designed with a viscosity especially for use in the lips. These fillers are hypoallergenic and very stable and results can last anywhere from 6-12 months depending upon how much the patient animates and their own absorption rate. It is possible to “top up” a result to maintain an even appearance at all times.
We try to avoid permanent fillers as a small percentage of patients develop a reaction which is called a granuloma and this lumpiness is very difficult to treat. Another reason permanent fillers are not advised is because as the face ages, the filler will remain static and not be in harmony with the ageing face. For permanent enhancement of the lips, Dr. Hodgkinson employs either a dermal graft or a patient’s own fat.
The Lip Enhancement Process
Dr. Hodgkinson and his team commonly use hyaluronic acid products for lip enhancement because they have a proven success rate. Dr. Hodgkinson’s trained nursing staff can efficiently perform this procedure and those with unattractive vertical lip lines (known as smokers’ lines) can discuss an option to have them removed using dermabrasion.
Lip elevation is a procedure that can reduce the excessive length of the lip, giving a more pleasing mouth to teeth relationship, by exposing two to three mm of teeth, usually centrally, and rarely from the corners of the mouth. This procedure involves a small incision underneath the nose.
In an older patient, lip fullness can often be restored at the same time as a facelift by using a graft of platysma muscle harvested from the neck during the facelift.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal Fillers help add volume to the lips, giving them a fuller and firmer appearance and can also increase skin hydration, helping the lips to feel more comfortable and moisturised.
There are a variety of Dermal Fillers and injections available, all of which create different levels of volume. The right one for you will depend on your own preference of either natural-looking lips to something a little more dramatic. The timeframe for how long these fillers can last will also vary and often range from three to twelve months. In some cases, patients may experience bruising or redness at the site of injection, however this will only be temporary.
Patients often opt for lip enhancement maintenance sessions every three to twelve months, depending on which filler type they use. A treatment plan can be discussed during your consultation, which will also feature an evaluation of your goals to determine which filler type is best suited to you.
Lip Enhancement via Fat Transfer
Another option for creating fuller lips is the use of a fat transfer, which some patients prefer for producing a more natural looking result. This process also involves the removal of fat from other areas of the patient’s body, usually from the abdomen or thighs.
This fat is carefully injected under the vermilion of the lips, then massaged and moulded to create a smooth lip augmentation. Performed under local anaesthetic, it is common to require roughly two mls of fat which is injected into the upper and lower lips. More or less may be required depending on the aesthetic the patient is trying to achieve.
Much like the process with Dermal Fillers, the lips will be swollen after the procedure for the first week, with the natural fullness revealed as the swelling subsides. Fat survives permanently in the lips for longer-lasting results, especially when the filler is injected into multiple tunnels to offer the best chance of survival for the fat cells. There will be no scarring on the lips; however, the donor area may have a small scar, which is often under a centimetre in length.
Lip Augmentation with your own tissue
A scar or dermis of fat, or even muscle harvested during a facelift can be used to enhance the lips with a small incision in the corner of the mouth.
Lip Augmentation with Dr. Hodgkinson
Dr. Hodgkinson has performed thousands of cosmetic surgery procedures including many on the lip and facial regions. He is well known for his commitment to the personal side of surgery, and the relationships he forms with his patients. This attention helps Dr. Hodgkinson and his team to have a complete understanding of the patient’s desires and goals which not only determines the correct procedure, but also ensures the best results.
When it comes to enhancing the lips, the vermilion or red part of the lips are not the only areas that need attention. Once Dr. Hodgkinson has worked with you to discuss your goals and the particular aesthetic that you hope to achieve, it may be necessary to fill around the lips along with filling the lips themselves. Correction may be required in the fine upper lip lines, or a slight lift may be necessary for the corners of the mouth. All of these steps can be as vital to achieving the best results possible as enhancement of the lips themselves.
The main priority is avoiding an imbalance in the overall appearance of the lips. High-quality lip enhancement is proportional to the rest of the face, with the upper lip also being proportional to the lower lip. Our goal with any surgery is to give you natural looking lips that people think you were born with.
Dr. Hodgkinson makes use of the ‘Alter Image’ software program, which gives a clear picture of what potential results could look like to help patients with the important decision of whether or not to proceed with surgery. Dr. Hodgkinson is a well-respected practitioner with over thirty years of experience.Trained at the prestigious Mayo Clinic, Dr. Hodgkinson holds two degrees in plastic surgery and serves on the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).
Dr. Hodgkinson operates from the Double Bay Day Surgery, a fully licensed day surgery centre which offers the highest levels of care with state of the art cosmetic and plastic surgical equipment. This coupled with our well-experienced and highly skilled team means all of our patient’s needs are met as we work towards achieving their goals. All of your questions are answered in advance, and our team are on-hand 24 hours a day to assist with your recovery and support you through your surgical journey.
Dr. Hodgkinson’s team are well known for exemplary post-operative care so that all patients experience the best recovery possible. Home care is also an option if required as we look to provide all of our patients with the finest care possible. Speak to our highly skilled staff about lip augmentation today and see why so many people choose Dr. Hodgkinson as their surgeon.
Why we avoid permanent lip fillers
The permanent lip filler option is often asked for by patients who do not want to undergo frequent lip injections or have previously tried temporary fillers and have not been happy with the results.
Despite the name, permanent lip fillers will often only last for approximately 10 years and are often more significant in comparison to temporary fillers. Dr. Hodgkinson avoids the use of permanent fillers for the following reasons;
- There is a higher risk of infection in lip augmentation with permanent fillers
- If an infection does occur, it can be deep set, lasting for the duration of the filler, causing hardness lumps or nodules
- There is also a risk of an immune response by the body which may also cause nodules or granulomas
- Errors are not easily correctable
- Other fillers may not be used in lips that have permanent fillers
- Your face will age, and permanent fillers reduce the chance of having a natural look to your lips as you get older
If you were considering permanent lip fillers, we strongly recommend discussing this with Dr. Hodgkinson during your consultation to obtain information about the other options available before making your decision.
- How Can I Make My Thin Lips Bigger?We have a number of excellent ways of plumping out your lips. Even if your lips are not necessarily thin we can enhance the way they look either temporarily or permanently and with the trend towards cosmetic dentistry, enhancing the lips can make the smile even more attractive. There is a range of injectable fillers available for a temporary result. The newest one normally lasts longer than collagen, which has been used for more than 20 years. For more permanent enhancement, I use either a dermal fat graft or the patient’s own fat (usually drawn from the abdomen or inner thigh).
Before and After Lip Enhancement Surgery with fat by Dr Hodgkinson
- Am I a good candidate for lip enhancement treatment?If you are looking to enhance and alter the appearance of your lips, then you are likely a good candidate for lip augmentation. The goal of this procedure is often to create a natural aesthetic with definition and character. Most patients wish to avoid lips that look unnatural or unsymmetrical when compared with the rest of the face.
- How do Dermal Fillers enhance my lips?Dermal Fillers in gel form are injected into the lips and feature a naturally occurring sugar which helps to enhance and rejuvenate the lips. The sugar chain within the gel gives a plumping, smoothing, and hydrating effect to the lips which presents a more youthful and natural appearance.
- In which ways can my lips be enhanced?
Lip augmentation can target different areas of the lips. Accentuating the lip border helps to create definition and shape, and we can also target the main body of the upper and lower lip to create volume and fullness. The particular process will be dependent on the look you are hoping to achieve. Dr. Hodgkinson will work with you to find an improvement that is noticeable but natural.
Are your lips thinning and causing you to feel less confident in your appearance? Speak to Dr. Hodgkinson today about fuller lips.
- What should I expect as the results?
As there are various Dermal Fillers options to consider, we will work with you to find the right option based on your goals, be they;
- Enhanced volume
- Improved definition
- Softer lip lines
- Smoother lip body
The lip treatment best for your individual needs will be decided during your consultation once we have a fuller understanding of the look you are hoping for. It will also depend on the current state of your lips and how much they have thinned.
- How long until I see a change?Your lips will swell slightly immediately after treatment, and as this subsides over the next few days, the actual result of the treatment will become evident.
- Are there any side effects?It is common to experience mild swelling or bruising as the lips feature very delicate skin. This will, however, subside within 3-5 days. You may also notice some small lumps in the treatment area, which is also normal and will soften in time.
- Is a lip augmentation painful?As all patients experience differing levels of pain it can be difficult to say; however, we take the highest level of care possible to ensure that our lip enhancement process is as comfortable for you as possible. If your pain tolerance is low, a topical anaesthetic may be applied to the lip area to provide an extra level of comfort.
- How many treatments will I need?
The answer to this question really depends upon your desired result and the quality of your skin. Hydration is different for everyone's lips, and regular treatments are often required. The frequency which will obtain the best results for you will be more apparent during your consultation and after your first session. It will also depend on the kind of Dermal Filler used as they can last between 6-12 months. If you are looking to maintain your results, regular sessions will be required.
Before and 3 months after Lip Enhancement with fat.
- How do I know the treatment is suitable for me?The main criteria that will exempt you from lip treatment is if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any kind of auto-immune disorder or immunodeficiency. If you suffer from severe allergies or an adverse reaction to Dermal Fillers, this may make this treatment unsuitable for you.
- Is there anything I should be aware of prior to treatment?Try to avoid scheduling an appointment if you have a cold sore or skin irritation around the lip area and also avoid treatment two weeks in advance of any engagement where you will be worried about your appearance. Retinol A products should be avoided one week before and after lip treatment, as should anticoagulant medication such as aspirin which thins the blood.
- Should I consider anything during recovery?To ensure a quick and safe recovery, keep the area clean to avoid a risk of infection with a salt mouth rinse. Try to keep your hands and any heavy pressure off of the area for around two weeks, as well as vigorous exercise, excessive sun or heat for the first few days after treatment to ensure the best results.