Upper lid blepharoplasty and browlift by Dr Hodgkinson Upper lid blepharoplasty and browlift by Dr Hodgkinson Upper and lower blepharoplasty and browlif...Continue Reading
Brow Lift Surgery Sydney
Female Image Gallery Brow Lift Surgery Sydney
Male Image Gallery Brow Lift Surgery Sydney
About The Procedure
Eyelid surgery in Sydney and brow lifts are often considered complementary to each other. To determine which may be appropriate for you, it is essential to identify the cause of the problems. In the case of a brow lift, drooping brows can cause a fold of loose skin to hang beyond the lid margin. Gravity’s effect on the forehead and eyebrows may actually be the cause of fullness in the upper eyelid, and this would be best treated by brow lift surgery rather than eyelid surgery.
The results of eyelid surgery are often longer lasting when done in conjunction with a brow lift. It is important to note that blepharoplasty may not wholly remove crows feet and other wrinkles around the eyes, meaning anti-wrinkle injections or injectable fillers might also be needed.
Quick facts Regarding Brow Lifts
- The correct position of the eyebrow is arched above the bony orbit
- The brow descends with age and can result in a stern or unhappy facial expression
- A brow lift now commonly uses the endoscopic approach
What is Brow Lift Surgery?
Deep furrows on the forehead, frown lines over the eyes, drooping eyebrows, and hood-like skin over the eyes are all conditions that can make you look older than you are – or feel. Whether age or heredity causes these conditions, a forehead lift or an eyebrow lift can give you a more youthful, animated and alert appearance.
A brow lift surgery, moves eyebrows back where they belong: at or above the brow bone. It may also smooth the furrows in the lower forehead as well as reduce the drooping skin above the eyes. As a result of the surgery, the eyes appear more open, more rested and youthful, more alert.
Drooping Eyebrows, What Can Be Done?
Drooping eyebrows are often one of the first signs of ageing. This condition is frequently overlooked because most people are unaware of the problem and the amount of improvement correction can provide. Drooping brows cause the upper lids to droop and move downward. In extreme cases, the eyelid skin can touch or overlap the eyelashes. People often comment that their eyes appear to be getting smaller or more deeply set. A drooping brow contributes to the tired look observed at the end of the day. For women, this condition frequently causes eye makeup to end up on the upper part of their eyelids soon after it is applied.
Forehead lift surgery (or brow lift) surgery may lessen the deeper “crow’s feet” next to the outer corners of the eye but will not reduce other lines or folds around the eyes. The lift will not correct excess skin or pouching caused by fat deposits in the lids. In order to achieve the best result, combining a forehead lift or eyebrow lift surgery with other procedures such as eyelid surgery, a facelift, anti-wrinkle injections or muscle relaxing injections is recommended.
During your brow lift Sydney consultation, your eyes, brows, forehead and hairline will be analysed to determine the appropriate procedure for you. In forehead lift surgery, the incisions are placed behind the hairline of the scalp or at the hairline where the forehead and scalp meet. Placement depends upon the height of the patient’s hairline. In order to achieve a natural result, it is critical to avoid appreciable altering of the hair pattern. Great care is taken to place incisions within the hair, hairline, or naturally-occurring fold of skin to make the resulting scars as inconspicuous as possible.
We invite you to call us at the clinic and make an appointment to see if brow lift surgery or another facial rejuvenation procedure will provide you with the results you are looking for.
How Much is Too Much?
Often patients seeking eyelid surgery or a brow lift express fears of an over-operated appearance. If too much skin and fat is removed from the upper and lower eyelids, the patient may end up looking emaciated in that area of the face. The preferable look is a high lateral arch; however, the brow being lifted too much can cause a startled appearance.
Dr. Hodgkinson prefers to refer to photographs of the patient in his or her early 30s to ascertain the exact height of the brow lift, leading to the most natural look.
Will a Brow Lift Help You?
Before deciding on the brow lift procedure, our team will run a pre-operative examination and consultation, during which we will review your medical and surgical history. You will also undergo a physical exam after which we will discuss your current situation, the issues you face and your goals. All of this will help to determine if a brow lift will give you the results you desire.
If the brow lift does not appear to be a suitable procedure for your needs, an alternate recommendation will be offered if applicable. Our medical staff work closely with you to understand your goals and ensure that realistic outcomes can be achieved. Our primary goal is that you are comfortable with undergoing any procedure, and to ensure this, we will have you fully informed by answering all of your questions and providing a complete understanding of what will be involved. Dr. Darryl Hodgkinson and the team put their patient’s care and well-being at the forefront of every service provided.
The primary benefits of the brow lift procedure
When it comes to anti-aging procedures, many people forget about or look beyond the simple brow lift. This simple procedure however, offers many aesthetic benefits that will refresh a tired face. Facial creases often cause an older appearance, and the ability of the brow lift to erase these can be quite effective.
Many patients feel as though they have a tired, or even angry appearance due to excessive lines between the eyebrows, or creases on the forehead. Acquaintances ask “what’s bothering you”? The sagging brow line can also make people seem less approachable despite the fact you are likely quite calm and happy! A brow lift will smooth away these lines along with the signs of aging on the upper face giving you a much friendlier appearance.
In some more extreme cases, people can experience a negative effect on their visibility due to a sagging brow. A brow lift can open up the eye area, which not only gives a more youthful appearance but has you feeling like your range of sight has slightly improved. As the surgery is tailorable to the unique needs of each person, you can achieve natural results that specifically suit and enhance your look. Most patients only require an endoscopic lift to accomplish this, whereas very few undergo a full lift. Either way, Dr. Hodgkinson and the team will ensure that your cosmetic surgery procedure is designed just for you and your specific aesthetic goals, giving you the most natural and cohesive result based on your facial structure.
Finally, a brow lift will offer a much longer-lasting result than injectable treatments like Botox. While these treatments, including dermal fillers, are a great way to reduce forehead creases or raise the brow line, their scope is limited, and they require repeated sessions to maintain their results. The brow lift procedure, while more invasive, will ensure you maintain your new look for a more significant period of time. It virtually never needs to be repeated.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Can I Do About My Worried Looking Eyebrows?A tired or angry appearance is associated with brow ptosis (i.e. drooping). The eyebrows have begun to undergo the effects of gravity and instead of being arched over open eyes, they have descended and the eyes look small. Over-activity of the face muscles from frowning, squinting, asthma or breathing disorders is also often associated with brow ptosis. Although anti-wrinkle injections can temporarily improve the “scowling” appearance, a longer-term solution is a brow-lift. This procedure, popular in the 40–60 age group, can take away that worried, angry or tired appearance and make you look friendlier, fresher and less concerned. The endoscopic brow-lift is a major improvement over the traditional brow-lift as the incisions are small and the recovery time minimal. I have been performing the endoscopic brow-lift for more than ten years and the vast majority of my patients (nearly 500) have been highly satisfied with the result. The procedure is always performed as an outpatient at my clinic.
Before and 6 months after Brow Lift and Blepharoplasty for Men
- How can I have younger looking eyes?The procedure to rejuvenate the eyes (eyelids) is called blepharoplasty. Blepharoplasty involves a surgical procedure, performed as an outpatient under twilight sedation or light general anaesthesia, where the excessive skin and bulging fat of the upper and lower eyelids is removed and the youthful stance of the eyelids restored. Care must be taken not to overresect tissue but to create a crisp fold in the upper eyelid and not 'hollow out' the lid. This outpatient surgical procedure requires precision and experience to rejuvenate your 'look'.
Before and 6 years after Browlift, Facelift, Rhinoplasty
- Are anti-wrinkle injections safe?Absolutely, if performed by a qualified and experienced doctor. The television show "Body Work" recently demonstrated anti-wrinkle injections both to smooth and soften lunes and folds as well as injectable fillers to enhance lips. The areas usually addressed are the frown lines between the eyebrows, then horizontal lines in the forehead and the crows feet around the side of the eyes. Folds most commonly softened are those around the mouth. These injections are highly popular as they can be performed in a matter of minutes and either instantly or within a few days the patient has a benefit which lasts for a number of months. Note: the injectables used for these procedures can only be ordered by a doctor, and the manufacturers and the medical community fo not endorse in a party environment.
- Will I require anaesthesia?A brow lift surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. As with any situation that requires anaesthesia, our team will assess any medications you are taking, as well as any allergies you may suffer from before proceeding. It is very important that you accurately provide all of this information prior to surgery.
- Are there any potential risks or complications with a brow lift procedure?The modern surgical process, coupled with Dr. Hodgkinson's skill set means the procedure is very safe; however, any surgical procedure brings with it the potential of various risks and complications. In the case of a brow lift, potential risks and complications of surgery can include:
- All complications are rare, bleeding and infection are most unlikely. A drain is left in the forehead and removed on day 2.
- Temporary numbness may occur
- Reduced movement of the forehead muscles, also non-permanent is unlikely
- The slight rise of the hairline or temporary hair thinning/loss may occur
- How should I prepare for this surgery?The brow lift is a sophisticated procedure and there are several things that you can do in preparation of any surgery to ensure the experience is as pleasant as possible with the least amount of downtime. Some preparation can include:
- Staying as fit as possible to assist in the recovery process
- Informing our team of any medications you are taking as some may need to be stopped
- Quitting smoking
- Provide a complete medical history which includes health issues past and present, medication you have recently taken, along with any allergies you may suffer from
Before and 4 months after brow lift
- What will be required from me after surgery?After the brow lift procedure, we strongly recommend that you drink plenty of fluids and consume a light meal in the two or three hours that follow. You will likely experience a level of pain or discomfort, which will differ for all patients but should be restricted to the incision area. Pain medication will be provided by our team for you if required. You will not need narcotics. You should expect a level of bruising or swelling, which is completely normal after surgery. This will disappear over time, but in some cases, this can take a number of weeks. To help your recovery, it would be best if you sleep with your head elevated as this will help to reduce swelling. Do not be alarmed if you also experience numbness in the scalp area behind the scar. This too will subside with time and is entirely normal.
Before and 6 months after brow liftIf required, a small tube may be placed under the skin temporarily to drain any excess fluid, and you will likely need a few days of rest. During this time we recommend that you refrain from strenuous exercise and swimming. Please identify us immediately if any of the following situations occur:
- Your temperature rises above 38°C
- You experience significant swelling
- The incision site appears to get itchier or redder
- Your pain or any other issues heighten or worsen
- What sort of scarring should I expect following a brow lift procedure?As this surgery is invasive, a certain level of scarring is inevitable. Dr. Hodgkinson works to minimise scarring creating incisions in inconspicuous areas where possible meaning that the scars will be less visible. By making incisions along natural skin lines and creases, there will be far less of a visual impact post-surgery. While everyone heals in a different way, it is likely that your scars may fade over time. Please let our team know if you are prone to scarring prior to undergoing this procedure.