Before & After Breast Reduction Surgery by Dr. Darryl HodgkinsonIf you are a woman with overly large breasts, Dr Hodgkinson's breast reduction surgery in Sydney can be a tremendously ...Continue Reading
Breast Reduction Surgery & Procedure
Female Image Gallery Breast Reduction Surgery & Procedure
About The Procedure
How Breast Reduction Can Help
Women with very large, pendulous breasts may experience a variety of medical problems caused by the excessive weight of their breasts, from back and neck pain, notching of their shoulders from their bra straps, skin irritation and difficulty participating in several forms of normal exercise. Having extremely large breasts can also exacerbate skeletal deformities such as scoliosis or breathing difficulties such as asthma. Additionally, unusually large breasts can make a woman, or teenage girl, feel extremely self-conscious. Breast reduction, technically known as reduction mammaplasty, is designed for such women.
The Reduction Mammaplasty Procedure
The procedure removes fat, glandular tissue, and skin from the breasts, making them smaller, lighter, and firmer. It can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple and restore them to their appropriate position on the breast. The goal is to achieve the look of smaller, better-shaped breasts which are not only in proportion to the rest of the body but which are in the correct position on the chest wall.
If you’re considering breast reduction, Dr. Darryl Hodgkinson can provide you specific information on how he would proceed in your particular case.
|Before & After Breast Reduction|
- What type of implant do you prefer for breast enhancement?I’m often asked this question. In contrast to many surgeons who prefer to use one particular type, I use every sort of implant *as well as a wide range of incisions to insert them. This flexibility is important to meet the patient’s desires and obtain the optimal result. The choice is contingent upon the patient’s shape, the condition of the breast tissue, whether there is droop (ptosis) of the breasts and the overall figure shape. In over 90% of cases, I use a saline implant. The smooth-walled saline is ideal for the younger patient who has never had an implant, has very little ptosis of the breasts and wants to have a C or C+ brassiere size. A gel implant is used if patients want a more generous size or they are quite thin and have little breast tissue to cover the implant.* (except for textured polyurethane breast implants which are under suspicion due to links to ALCL anaplastic large cell lymphoma)
Before & After Breast Implants by Dr Hodgkinson
- What are the incision lines for a breast reduction?Many women with large or pendulous droopy breasts suffer from back pain, neck strain, notching of the shoulders from their bra straps and blistering or rashes especially in hot weather. It is almost impossible for them to consider jogging or any kind of jarring sport such as horseback riding due to the discomfort caused. Many women who present for breast reduction say that they have thought about surgery for years but were held by either financial concerns or not knowing what the surgery involved and were too frightened to ask.With regard to the incision lines, the goal with all aesthetic surgery is minimise potential scarring whilst trying to achieve a result that is aesthetically pleasing and that will stand up to normal ageing and lifestyle habits. A vertical “lollipop” incision is used for moderate reductions avoiding the full anchor incision of very large “E”+ breast reductions. For women with very large breasts it is almost impossible to avoid a “T” or anchor incision. The sheer volume and weight of the breast tissue, combined with the compromised elasticity of the skin after years of drooping is too great to be supported by a peri-areolar incision alone. The incision lines for larger breast reduction are around the nipple and vertically downward from the nipple under the breast. They generally resolve and go from red to pink in a matter of a few months and from pink to white in a matter of a year in the average person with care taken to avoid sun exposure and adherence to post-operative instructions.
Before and After Breast Reduction Surgery by Dr Hodgkinson
- Can I tell the implant size I need by the bra size I want to wear?Breast size, bra size and implant size cannot be directly compared. Correct sizing of patients is important because no two women are the same. No woman has the same exact same sized breasts on both sides and no two bras are the same, but two implants by the same manufacturer will be the same size. At the Cosmetic & Restorative Surgery Clinic, we pride ourselves on our ability to size a patient accurately based on the size she wants for breast implants, not only by measurements but also by using industry specific tools and trialling different sizes and shapes of implants with the patient. To learn more about breast implants, to make a time for sizing and or learn about other procedures, contact us at the Clinic or just check our website.
- If I have a breast lift, will my breasts sag again?The extent to which this will happen is in your hands and the hands of the Gods. The patient needs to control weight gain or loss, lifestyle habits that erode skin elasticity (smoking, drinking, sunbathing) and general wellness. The Gods have given you your genetic make-up and that in turn determines how we age and we all age differently. One thing is for sure, with time and ageing gravity will take its hold whether you have had surgery or not. Patients who require breast lifts also usually have compromised elasticity of their skin and women who have had children especially, due to previous enlargement and shrinkage of the breasts following pregnancy and lactation. Breast implants in conjunction with a lift can help prop up the sagging breast tissue and give volume especially in the upper pole. Sometimes the patient’s own fat is injected to fill the upper pole of the breasts. If necessary, a mastoplexy (breast lift) can be repeated at a later date.
Before and after Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
- Would a breast-lift help after having children?Drooping breasts can be a source of embarrassment as well as a sign of their loss of youth and femininity. This sagging can occur naturally with age or follow after pregnancy when the breast tissue shrinks. Breast droop can be corrected with an operation called mastopexy which involves removing some skin and excess tissue from the lower breast with a vertical incision combined with a peri-areolar incision (incision around the nipple) or with just the peri-areolar incision itself (the Bennelli technique). The skin is drawn together and stitched creating a higher, tighter breast. Sometimes I insert an implant to give the breast added support and fullness if the patient has inadequate breast tissue.
Before and After Breast Lift with Breast Implants (Bennelli: Minimal Incision) by Dr Hodgkinson