Reduction Mammoplasty, commonly referred to as breast reduction, is probably one of the oldest procedures that have been sought by female patients to improve their shape. While many procedures were de...Continue Reading
Mastectomy – Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Female Image Gallery Mastectomy – Breast Reconstruction Surgery
About The Procedure
Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy
Women who have had a mastectomy after breast cancer are often interested in learning about and understanding their options for breast reconstruction. These patients have already been through an ordeal and deserve to be treated with sensitivity.
Dr Hodgkinson has been reconstructing women’s breasts for more than 30 years and has a great deal of respect for these patients and their journey. He has experience in the various techniques used to reconstruct the breast whether it be with the use of breast implants in Sydney or flap surgery such as the Latissmus or Tram Flap which utilise the patient’s own autogenous tissues to form a new breast. A secondary procedure can also be carried out to create a new nipple when necessary.
For more information on breast reconstruction after mastectomy, please call the clinic on 02 9362 7400 to make an appointment to discuss your particular history and desires by undergoing a cosmetic surgery in Sydney with Dr. Hodgkinson.
- What techniques are used for breast reconstruction after mastectomy?There are basically two options for patients who want a reconstruction: to use your own tissues to make a new breast or to try to get more skin and then place an implant under the skin (the expansion technique).Post-operative treatment following a mastectomy, such as radiation or chemotherapy, might impact on the available options. If the patient has not had radiation, then the expansion method can be used. This involves placing a silastic balloon underneath the residual skin on the chest wall. Every two weeks, more saline solution is added to the balloon in order to stretch the skin. Once the required amount of skin has grown, a gel implant is positioned.In the method that uses your own tissue (autogenous), the tissue can be brought from the back or the abdomen to make the new breast. We use both these techniques for breast reconstruction.
Before and After Breast Reconstruction (Latissimus) by Dr Hodgkinson
- Can I tell the implant size I need by the bra size I want to wear?Breast size, bra size and implant size cannot be directly compared. Correct sizing of patients is important because no two women are the same. No woman has the same exact same sized breasts on both sides and no two bras are the same, but two implants by the same manufacturer will be the same size. At the Cosmetic & Restorative Surgery Clinic, we pride ourselves on our ability to size a patient accurately based on the size she wants for breast implants, not only by measurements but also by using industry specific tools and trialling different sizes and shapes of implants with the patient. To learn more about breast implants, to make a time for sizing and or learn about other procedures, contact us at the Clinic or just check our website.
- Do breast implants shift once inserted?Breast implants should not shift in position once they are inserted if the implants are responsibly chosen to fit the patient’s build and the surgery is performed properly. The surgeon’s challenge is to make the pocket the exact size of the implant if not a little firm to avoid movement or rotation. The problem with the tear drop shaped implants is that in the hands of the less experience surgeon is if the pocket is not perfect and they rotate, resulting in an unnatural shape to the chest... In placing any implant—whether it is a breast, cheek, chin or calf implant—the aim of the procedure is to make the pocket the correct size and shape for the proposed implant. A pocket which is proportional to the chest wall diameter will allow the implant to sit nicely and protects the implant from displacement.
Before and After Breast Augmentation: D cup 400 cc Round Smooth Saline Breast Implants by Dr Hodgkinson
- What type of implant do you prefer for breast enhancement?I’m often asked this question. In contrast to many surgeons who prefer to use one particular type, I use every sort of implant *as well as a wide range of incisions to insert them. This flexibility is important to meet the patient’s desires and obtain the optimal result. The choice is contingent upon the patient’s shape, the condition of the breast tissue, whether there is droop (ptosis) of the breasts and the overall figure shape. In over 90% of cases, I use a saline implant. The smooth-walled saline is ideal for the younger patient who has never had an implant, has very little ptosis of the breasts and wants to have a C or C+ brassiere size. A gel implant is used if patients want a more generous size or they are quite thin and have little breast tissue to cover the implant.* (except for textured polyurethane breast implants which are under suspicion due to links to ALCL anaplastic large cell lymphoma)
Before & After Breast Implants by Dr Hodgkinson
- Where are the breast implants inserted?Breast implants can be inserted through many different incision sites, including endoscopically through the navel (saline only). The most common incision sites are under the breast, around the nipple or in the armpit. Interestingly, saline implants can be inserted through smaller incision sites than silicone implants.The choice of incision site needs to be discussed with your surgeon as just with the type of implant, the location of the incision site can affect the look that you will achieve. For example, while the armpit avoids any potential scarring on or around the breast, it makes if very difficult to achieve cleavage. It is important to choose a highly experienced breast surgeon and to discuss your expectations with him or her to ensure that they have the ability to use multiple types, sizes and shapes of implants through a variety of incision sites to customise each patient’s result to their body shape and desires. Remember, one size does not fit all.
Before and After Breast Augmentation: C cup 240 cc Round Smooth Saline Breast Implants by Dr Hodgkinson