Breast Implants Explained
Before and After Breast Augmentation Surgery by Dr Hodgkinson
If you are thinking about Breast Augmentation Dr Darryl Hodgkinson is one of the most experienced and qualified Plastic Surgeons in this field. With over 30 years of experience the fact that Dr Hodgkinson performs Breast Augmentation with both Saline and Silicone Gel Implants sets him apart from many other plastic surgeons in Australia. The spectrum of breast implants available to the surgeon can therefore provide great versatility in achieving a more natural look.
On top of implant choice Dr Hodgkinson offers four choices about where to make the skin incisions for breast enlargement. They can be in the breast fold (inframammary), around the nipple (periareolar),? underneath the armpit (transaxillary) or through the belly button (transumbilical “TUBA”).
Breast implant size is one of the most important decisions in a breast augmentation procedure. Because of this, Dr Hodgkinson will take several approaches to help the patient make the best decision based on their anatomy, personal preferences and the appearance they wish to achieve. In general, attractive breast augmentation should be in proportion to the woman’s overall body shape.
There are six main clinical parameters for breast implants on initial consultation:
- Patient’s body build and height
- Natural breast size, shape and symmetry
- Nipple position in relation to the breast
- The quality of breast skin
- Chest wall shape and dimension
- Patient’s desire for new cup size and shape.
The number of breast enlargement operations is on the increase, and the demand for natural-looking breasts is even more apparent. Dr Hodgkinson has operated on thousands of patients over the years?and has drawn from this wide experience to perfect his methods for successful and attractive breast augmentation.
For more information on this procedure or if you would like to make a time for consultation with Dr Hodgkinson on breast augmentation in Sydney please contact Cosmetic and Restorative Surgery Clinic on :
02 9362 7400.
- Q: If I have breast implants, where will the incisions be?Q: If I have breast implants, where will the incisions be? A: Breast implants can be inserted through many different incisions, including endoscopically through the navel (saline only). The most common incision sites are under the breast, in the armpit, or around the nipple. The type of implant may dictate the length
- Can I tell the implant size I need by the bra size I want to wear?Breast size, bra size and implant size cannot be directly compared. Correct sizing of patients is important because no two women are the same, no woman has the same exact same sized breasts on both sides and no two bras are the same, but two implants by the same manufacturer
- Do implants move?Q: Do implants move? A: In fact, it is unusual for implants to move. In placing any implant—whether it is a breast, cheek, chin or calf implant—the aim of the procedure is to make the pocket the correct size and shape for the proposed implant. Previously, when cortisone (a steroid) was used
- I’ve read somewhere that breast implants can go hard. Can you explain this?Q: I’ve read somewhere that implants can go hard. Can you explain this? A: This is called “capsular contracture” and is caused by a build-up of scar tissue around the implant. This is more common with the silicone implants when they are positioned behind the
- I would like breast implants but I have a thin build. What would be a suitable size?Q: I would like breast implants but I have a thin build. What would be a suitable size? A: The shape you wish to achieve is measured against your existing breasts and your chest wall to determine the appropriate size and shape for you. Implants