Men and Cosmetic Procedures: The Who, What and Why
In many circles, women and cosmetic procedures go hand-in-hand, yet those in the know are coming to realise that cosmetic plastic surgery is booming in popularity for men as well. According to The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, men underwent more than 3 million cosmetic procedures worldwide last year, and while that’s only a fraction of those performed on women, it’s certainly not a figure to be ignored.
The high five
So just what sort of cosmetic procedures are men interested in? Those same statistics found that the following are the most common cosmetic surgery procedures for men:
- Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery procedure to repair or modify the size or shape of the nose, including the bridge, tip and nostrils. Rhinoplasty may be undertaken for aesthetic reasons or for medical conditions, including nasal obstructions, structural problems, and of course, broken noses. The operations are usually performed through the nostril, and leave no visible scarring.
- Gynaecomastia is a very common condition which results in enlarged breasts in a man. This can be very unsettling, and the embarrassment is often compounded by the fact that it’s a condition that is rarely discussed. Gynaecomastia tends to appear during the early teenage years, a time that is often highly emotional, and it may impact negatively on self-esteem for years to come. Gynaecomastia may sometimes be corrected with liposuction alone. In most cases, however small incision is made under the nipple area, and excess breast tissue is removed.
- Blepharoplasty refers to eyelid surgery, which is designed to alter the appearance of the upper and/or lower eyelids. This type of cosmetic procedure may be used to address loose or sagging skin, and excess fatty deposits leading to puffiness, and bags underneath the eyes. Men may choose eyelid surgery purely for aesthetic reasons and/or to assist where the folds around the eyes are affecting their vision.
- Liposuction is a procedure that assists with the removal of unwanted fatty tissue which has not responded to regular diet and exercise. It may also help in ‘sculpting’ body contours (sometimes in tandem with other cosmetic procedures) to create a more masculine physique. Men tend to request liposuction for common problem areas such as love handles and the abdomen. This very common cosmetic procedure can see positive results in a short time, with minimal side effects.
- Otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery is one of the most common cosmetic procedures for men of all ages. Otoplasty is designed to improve the appearance of protruding or misshapen ears. This can be especially distressing for boys and men who wish to have shorter hairstyles and who need or want to wear caps and or helmets for sport. The operation is carried out as an outpatient and adult patients can return to work in about 5 days and children to school in a week. Any activity which might bend the ear should be avoided for a month.
Why the surge in cosmetic surgery for men?
There are a few reasons why cosmetic surgery for men is on the upswing. One reason is the growth in the male fashion industry and male awareness of appearance and grooming. Another is the demands of the workplace. Men are finding that appearance is important especially in many sales related fields and as men work later in life they want to look vital and competitive for as long as they can. It is also more common these days for both men and women to find themselves back on the single’s scene in their 40s, 50s and even 60s. Women are not alone in seeking cosmetic procedures to help improve their appearance, and boost self-esteem and confidence at the same time.
Yet it’s also the familiarity and the lessening of stigma that is encouraging men of all ages to take the plunge. And a final factor? Never underestimate a woman’s influence. Quite a few men turning to cosmetic procedures seem to be doing so after receiving encouragement from a female partner or family member, who has already had a cosmetic procedure themselves and is happy with their results.
If you’re interested in Sydney cosmetic surgery, why not contact us for a discussion of these procedures?